Our Core Beliefs
We believe that God's goal - the thing He is most passionate about - is His own glory. That can be a tough pill to swallow if you're from a background where you've been taught that we (humans) are at the center.
That's actually a really dangerous idea when you think about it. If we're at the center of God's plan, then God is worshipping us and not vice versa!
Want to know more about what we believe as a church? The best way is to come out to one of our gatherings and experience it for yourself. But if you're looking for more details before you come, consider these comments an appetizer!
What we believe about...
• God: We believe that God exists in three distinct persons - Father, Son and Holy Spirit (aka the Trinity!). We believe this because that's the way He speaks about Himself in the scriptures. We want to admit right up front that this whole concept is a mystery to us and we don't have all the answers!
• The Bible: We believe that the Bible was written by people under the inspiration of God's Holy Spirit, and we consider the Bible to be the source and norm of our doctrine and faith. The Glory of God is the integrating theme of the Bible - it is a thread that runs from Genesis to Revelation.
• Mankind: We believe that we were created in God's image for the purpose of reflecting His glory. We have been separated from God by our disobedience (also called ‘sin') and the reflection has become distorted. We believe that mankind has no hope of straightening this out apart from God's help through Jesus Christ.
• Jesus Christ: Fully God and fully human. Came to earth, lived a sinless life and was crucified according to God's plan, to satisfy the need for the just punishment of our sins (because God is fair). This payment of our debts allows God to freely and openly offer forgiveness of sins to all who wish to receive it (because God is merciful).
• Salvation: We believe that salvation takes place when a person believes that their sins have been paid for by Christ's death and resurrection.
• The Church: Jesus established the church here on Earth to carry on the work that He began while he was here - the same work that God has been doing since the dawn of time: bringing glory to Himself.
• Baptism: We believe that Baptism is for those who believe. We believe that the proper mode for baptism is immersion (that's actually what the word means!). We believe that baptism is an outward display of an inward change, but we also believe that God somehow gets involved in the process and makes it a supernatural event.
• The Christian Life: We believe that Gordon Gekko was wrong. Greed is not good. We believe that living a self-centered life is a trap that many have found themselves in. Result? A whole generation of people who are ever-consuming and ever-empty. No amount of money is ever enough. We believe that true life is only found when we lose ourselves in something much bigger. We believe that the Christian life is a life lived for His glory and not our own.
Want to know more? You might be interested in this document, which has been adapted from Pastor Bert's seminary senior thesis. It represents a fuller fleshing out of our belief in the centrality of God and His glory.